Progetto di Place Napoléon,colonnato e fontana centrale, a firma di F. Bonsignore, mai realizzato (1809). (Tratto da “Le Città della Liguria – Imperia” di F. Boggero e R. Paglieri. Ed. SAGEP – GE)
The square was designed as a drill-ground between the “Bastione dell´Annunziata” and the “Bastione di San Bernardo” in the 17th century. At the end of the following century it was made wider by filling the ditches around the city-walls. In the middle of the square there was once a public windmill to ground corn. The buildings around the square are the old “Palazzo del Collegio” ( 1838 – 1842), which was once the seat of the local secondary schools, and the “Palazzo della Questura”, which was finished in 1900 and was initially designed as an administrative seat. Later on it was transformed into a barracks. The name of the square changed frequently: “Braia da Miscion”, “Piazza d`Armi”, “Piazza della Libertà” (1797), “Place Napoleon” (1805), “Piazza Chiesa Nuova” (1816), “Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II” (1856) and eventually “Piazza del Duomo”. The “Loggia della Pescaria”was built in memory of the victorious Napoleon on a project by the architect M. de Tommaso in 1807 and it was used as a marketplace.